Family Law | Our Courts During COVID-19 – Chatham County, Eastern Judicial Circuit
To Members of the Bar:
The attached order is being entered in Chatham County in anticipation of the slow but steady resumption of cases being heard at the courthouse. In the next week there will be more information on protocols and guidelines for handling matters at court. The big takeaways at this point should be that:
– The courthouse remains open, especially for emergency matters;
– The courthouse is 6 floors, 5 classes of courts (and clerks’ offices), other offices, and…..(here’s the big part)….a grand total of 4 elevators, which can take 2-4 people each under Health Department social distancing guidelines. During normal business times, an average of 32-36,000 individuals pass through the front doors of the main courthouse. This number was reduced to around 7,000 in April 2020. This number is expected to rise again as in-persons hearings slowly increase. Do the math. Things WILL have to change;
– All the judges, from all the classes of courts, have been meeting and are working together to help make these changes work;
– As much as possible will be handled remotely going forward;
– Those things that cannot be handled remotely will be handled with new protocols and guidelines (with more on that to follow shortly); and
– Everyone should get in the habit of phoning ahead instead of just showing up at the courthouse. Citizens are going to be strongly encouraged to make appointments ahead of time. And lawyers should think it through ahead of time as well.
Administrative Order [ sbog.info ]
Penny Haas Freesemann, Chief Judge
Superior Court, E.J.C. of Georgia
Much appreciation to Judge Freesemann and Susannah Pedigo for assisting our efforts to keep our members informed!
Members, please help us keep the section informed – firstname.lastname@example.org.
be well and stay safe…
ivory t. brown, Chair
Family Law Section
State Bar of Georgia
State Bar of Georgia
104 Marietta St. NW, Suite 100, Atlanta, GA 30303-2743
Phone – 404-527-8700 Fax – 404-527-8717